Wednesday, 26 October 2016

Worst to Best: Harry Potter movies ranked

What a better way to spend your week off of sixth form, than binge watching the Harry Potter films? Well, that is what I've been up to, and that has sparked the idea of this blog post! As they really are magical, fantastic films! So, I'll be letting you guys know which ones I favour and why.

This blog post WILL include spoilers, if you haven't already seen the films... which is only probable if you've been living under a rock for the past 14 years or so.

(These films will be ranked from worst to best)


1) Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone



Don't get me wrong, although I've placed this movie last, I still love it to bits. I think that it is a great start to the films and really incorporates the magical imagery throughout, via the amazing directing and editing! The only real reason for me placing this movie last, simply is down to it not being as darkly themed as the others. Moreover, I think the other films provide slightly more depth and insight into individual characters and their stories, however this film being the first of the series, it's more of a broader overview of just the magical, wizarding world, as a whole. Which is understandable, seeing as it's the first movie.

2) Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets



I placed this film second place, because again, it doesn't contain the same amount of darkness as the other films throughout the series, however it does start to develop in this film. I love the mystery and problem solving that this film incorporates, due to the discovering of the chamber and who opened it. Also we start to see the development of Voldemort as a character, as Tom Riddles diary is a significant part of this film, which I also liked.

3) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1



I mean, it's pretty harsh to rank this movie as an individual, as it was ultimately created to lead up to the main events, taking part in part 2. However, some scenes in this film are some of my favourites throughout the whole of the Potter movies. These include the scene of Harry and Hermione dancing together, as a way of Harry trying to cheer her up from Ron leaving. And also the scene where Hermione tells us the tale of the 3 brothers. Despite this, I only ranked it third, as I feel like although some scenes are amazing, more are just fillers to try and fill the time.

4) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban



We're now at the half-way point in the list! Firstly, this movie has one of the best openings, with Harry losing his temper and blowing up Aunt Marge like a balloon! One of my favourite characters is introduced in this film, professor Lupin, who is the new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. Ron is searching for his missing, pathetic pet 'rat' throughout the film, which reveals a very interesting plot twist when he's finally found. Werewolves are introduced, an accused murdering Godfather escapes from Azkaban and much more. A lot goes on in this film, with many unexpected turns throughout the story that are amazingly done and executed!

5) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire



I adored this film when I was younger... probably due to my childhood crush on Robert Pattison, who stars as one of the competitors in the Goblet of Fire. I think I love this film a lot because there is a lot of action that takes place, apart from the usual good vs evil, Harry vs Voldemort (until the end), as it's more action just generally, so the events like the catching of the dragons egg and such. Moreover, for me this is quite a turning point in the film, in terms of the theme of darkness, as here we see Voldemort being properly 're-born'. 

6) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2



Considering this film had very, very high expectations to live up to, I'm really happy to say that I think it delivered massively! One of my favourite scenes is when Harry views Snapes memories, learning about his love for Lily Potter, how he wanted to protect Harry and cares for him. I just love Snape, and Harry, so I just love this scene so much! I think the whole Harry vs Voldemort fight scene was amazing and I love the huge dark influence that this film has as a whole. In my opinion, this was such a great end to such a great series!

7) Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince



This film is extremely action-packed and mysterious all the way throughout, with some MAJOR twists. I love how Snapes character is viewed as being a villain, which it very important for the following movies. I love how Voldemort and his followers almost take over this film towards the end, making the whole movie more unpredictable and exciting. A lot of important, unexpected things happen that keep you entertained all throughout this film, like the lead up to Dumbledores death, the learning of the horcruxes and so on. In all this really is a great film!

8) Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix



Last and certainly not least we have the Order of the Phoenix in first place, and in my opinion, the best Harry Potter movie! There are a ton of reasons why this movie is my favourite out of the lot. Some of these things including the huge involvement of the Ministry of Magic, the fight against Harry and his friends with the death eaters, the pupils rebelling against Umbridge and so much more. I love how this film holds a lot of emotion, ranging from anger to grieving etc. I just love this movie and think all throughout it is hugely entertaining.

There we have my list, from worst to best of my ranking of the Harry Potter films! I haven't read the books, so perhaps when I do, I'll do an updated version of this blog post, as they may influence my opinions on the films. 

Let me know down below in the comments your favourite and least favourite Harry Potter film in the series!

Thank you all for reading, have a great day.

Mollie x



My social media:

Twitter - mollie_holland
Instagram - mollieclarkeholland
Spotify - mollie_holland
Pinterest - mollie_holland

No comments:

Post a Comment